NeoAxis Group Ltd has released a new version of the universal environment for 3D project development NeoAxis 3D Engine 2.0. This new version includes many improvements as well as significant changes in technology licensing.
NeoAxis 3D Engine is a free integrated development environment that allows for projects of all types and complexity. The environment is intended for use in such areas as the creation of video games, the development of simulators, virtual reality and visualization software. It includes a full set of tools for fast and logical development of modern 3D projects.
With version 2.0, one of the editions of the technology is now completely free. The engine logo in the corner of the screen has been removed, as well as some restrictions. Paid licenses have also been updated, there are 4 editions:
- Free Edition — free full development environment, which includes most of the engine features such as quality dynamic shadows, landscape editor, soft particles, modern full-screen effects such as High Dynamic Range, Screen Space Ambient Occlusion, Depth of Field, Light Scattering, Lens Flares, and many other features.
- Professional Edition — license for professional developers. More features, bigger access to the source code of the engine components.
- Unlimited Edition — license includes all the features of the engine. Bigger access to the source code of the engine component. It includes the full source code of the engine tools.
- Source Edition — includes full source code of the engine.
New Major Features
- Tools user interface has been thoroughly updated and revised. Added large icons, ability to change fonts and more.
- The ability to create add-ons for the Resource Editor and Map Editor has been greatly improved. TExamples add-on creation have been added.
- New components system has been added. Now the structure of the engine contains core files and a set of separated optional components. With the new components system, it's now much easier for developers to expand the engine and it's tools. In the future NeoAxis Group will open a Component Store to allow easy components exchange and market for developers.
- The editor's transformation tool has been fully updated. Now it is more convenient, informative and features more customization options.
- Starting with version 2.0 sll editions of the engine now include 64-bit versions of editors and applications.
- The ohysics system of the engine has been significantly redesigned and optimized. The latest version of NVIDIA PhysX 3.2.1 is now integrated and features fast multithreaded calculation.
- Realistic car physics at the level of simulators were added.
- Support for first person animated models of weapon and hands.
- Screen Space Ambient Occclusion has been improved.
- Support for Autodesk 3dsMax 2014, Autodesk 3dsMax 2014 Design, Autodesk Maya 2014 has been added. Much faster exporting.
- Big changes in the sound system of the engine. Logically clear setting of the sound rolloff depending on the distance. Better performance on scenes with large amount of sounds.
- Brand new fast scene graph implementation based on Octree.
- Open the Component Store, an online service for easy sharing and selling of extensions of the engine and content for 3D projects.
- Add the missing advanced technologies, such as Deferred Rendering, Background Streaming and others.
- Write complete documentation for the use of technology.
- In long time perspective add the ability to run application created by the technology on mobile platforms, Linux and another platforms.
A small tour of the main innovations of NeoAxis 3D Engine 2.0. Updated Configurator. Ability to launch the engine and tools from the Configurator has been added.
Updated Deployment Tool to deploy the final version of your application to specified platforms.
One of the major improvements is with the physics system adding support for car physics with simulator-level quality. Tools include convenient utilities for configuring vehicle physics.
Examples of animated character's hands and weapon has been added.
The general view of the Map Editor has been updated. Almost all the elements of the user interface have been updated.
Tool transforming objects is completely updated. It is possible to specify the tool dimensions and the thickness of the lines.
New tools for transforming objects have been added, such as step by step movement, rotation and scaling.
Added random based rotation and scaling.
Object alignment tool has also been updated.
A complete upgrade of the window objects and layers was realized. The functionality of working with layers is significantly expanded.
The ability to customize the appearance of the editors is substantially improved. The ability to change fonts, the position of the toolbar, enable full-screen mode and more has been added.
A new map creation window.
Game framework (Game.exe) has also been improved. Noticeable changes include fully updated graphic user interface.
Next are the screenshots that users of the current version of the engine are already familiar with. NeoAxis 3D Engine includes a fully integrated editor of landscapes based on the height map.
The engine includes several path finding systems, such as a path finding system based on Navigation Mesh technology and a path finding system based on a two-dimensional grid.
It includes a complete set of tools for work with the resources of the project, such as the editor for physical models, the material editor, editor for user interface, editor for game logic and others. The screenshot shows the user interface editor.
Particle system editor.
Example of creation real-time strategy game in the SDK.
Demonstration tank physics in the SDK.
Configuring the ragdoll of a character in the editor of physical models.