Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Search for:
Professional License
Professional License

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:40 pm 
Bottom of Page Back to top
good, good.

It's a nice way!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:56 am Post subject: Good Engine, but for how long?
To be honest, I don't really like the sound of this news.
I've seen this happen before with other engines; they start and progress fast, the Game Engine looks very promising, but as it starts to get close to the finish line, updates get slower and slower and the owners start to deviate themselves from the original goal of finishing a solid finished product.

Honestly, I don't mind the art. I think it's good the way it is right now. I really think that the Engine needs more improvements than anything else. In the end, it is a Game Engine. It should be improved to do what a Game Engine is supposed to do; make games.

I really like this Engine, so I hope that it's not going down the same path other promising engines have.

Good job so far betauser. Please keep it up. ;)

Unlimited License
Unlimited License

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:26 pm 
Sounds good, sounds good

Professional License
Professional License

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:19 am 
Quote:
owners start to deviate themselves from the original goal of finishing a solid finished product.

As much as I'd like to see Neoaxis 'Microsoft free', I'd rather it work well on
a Windows PC, I don't have a Mac or a Linux or an Xbox 360, and no desire to
own any of them, although Xbox 360 would be about the best target for games, only ones better would be Playstation and Wii. PC games are dead and buried, walk into any Wal-Mart, you'll see 5 new games and 34 versions of 'The Sims'.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:57 pm 
hike1 wrote:
As much as I'd like to see Neoaxis 'Microsoft free', I'd rather it work well on
a Windows PC, I don't have a Mac or a Linux or an Xbox 360, and no desire to
own any of them, although Xbox 360 would be about the best target for games, only ones better would be Playstation and Wii. PC games are dead and buried, walk into any Wal-Mart, you'll see 5 new games and 34 versions of 'The Sims'.

I expect Mac and linux game sales to be very low, yes, but it still "looks good" to support more than one platform in your games. Ideally a console would be best (by far) but in the meantime I wouldn't mind the least bit if NA supported Mac...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:17 pm 
I agree that PC games don't sell as well as console games, but they do sell. Especially RPG, RTS, MMO and casual games.

Casual and low cost games have a big market on PC and they have a "long tail", which means that they can continue generating income for years.

Unlimited License
Unlimited License

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:30 pm 
and there are still fairly untapped revenue sources.

There a big communities that will buy anything related to their "thing".

Buy the dog models from 3rt.com and make a game where you can fetch a ball with the dog. All the dog fanatics will buy that in an instant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:03 pm 
You guys are dramatically underestimating the importance of the Mac market, I think.

It's true that they're a very low percentage of sales for the big studios' AAA games. But for indie developers, targeting Mac and Linux is essential. Remember that these are guys who are starved for games, since so few developers release cross-platform (at least initially). Plus, people who use an alternative platform tend to be willing to think outside the box and try something new (like an indie game). Then factor in that Linux users tend to be more technically literate and are more likely to hear of your game, while Mac users tend to be very willing to part with their cash, and maybe you can start to see why these platforms are more important than you would guess.

I've heard from various indie developers that people running alternative platforms make up a very large proportion of their customers. Even if it was only 15%, that's far more than the average profit on even a successful game -- can you really afford to throw that away?

Have you guys heard of Minions of Mirth? It's an MMORPG built in Torque, and is one of the most successful indie games. One of the MoM developers, Josh Engebretson, said in an interview that the Mac platform makes up 47% of their sales.

47%! That's half! I wouldn't be using NeoAxis right now if Ivan hadn't announced that Mac and Linux support were planned for the near future.

Professional License
Professional License

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:02 pm 
I have to agree about mac and lynx support. It is a good thing. Idealy you should be able to make your game in NA and when you do. You will be able to run it on all platforms. Atleast that is what I am getting from this. So this means that you will have a even brouder spectrum of people whom will buy your game. That is great in my eyes. And I see that this will be a great addition to alot of indi and commercial game developers.

Unlimited License
Unlimited License

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:50 pm 
I'm happy another developer is joining the team but I'm a bit skeptical that the engine will be able to support XBox360. What will you do? Wrap the core engine in XNA and release it? If you are going to go that far then why deal with all of these dependencies for the PC version? Most of them won't work on the XBox360. Seems like an uphill battle to me and the XBox360 market isn't even that strong. By the time the engine is ready for the 360 Microsoft will be after announcing its next console system and might even be released by the time NA is 360 ready.

I'd say focus on x86 and x64 architecture and drop the focus on particular systems until complete PC support is finished. Then engage the consoles.

I think the Linux and Mac markets are small but great that they will be supported through mono.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:51 pm 
Vam wrote:
I'm happy another developer is joining the team but I'm a bit skeptical that the engine will be able to support XBox360. What will you do? Wrap the core engine in XNA and release it? If you are going to go that far then why deal with all of these dependencies for the PC version? Most of them won't work on the XBox360. Seems like an uphill battle to me and the XBox360 market isn't even that strong. By the time the engine is ready for the 360 Microsoft will be after announcing its next console system and might even be released by the time NA is 360 ready.

I'd say focus on x86 and x64 architecture and drop the focus on particular systems until complete PC support is finished. Then engage the consoles.

I think the Linux and Mac markets are small but great that they will be supported through mono.

Most of that doesn't make any sense :-)

First of all, I don't think Ivan knows what's involved for getting code running on the 360, because I asked him about it in the past.

Unless you're targeting the Xbox 360 Creator's Club, which forces everything to run in C# and use XNA for rendering, then I'm pretty sure everything has to be C++. He *might* be able to get Mono running on a 360, but I think that's probably overkill.

He could get NeoAxis working for the Xbox 360's Creator's Club, which allows anyone to develop games using C# and XNA, then he'd actually have to create an XNA rendersystem and port all of NeoAxis to native C#. He wouldn't have to "wrap the core engine in XNA". He'd actually have to rewrite Ogre in C# instead of just wrapping it in C#. He mentioned in the past that this isn't his intention.

The Xbox 360 has a very strong market, by the way, and I don't think we'll be seeing a successor for another 3 years.

However, I agree that NeoAxis should focus on getting the engine perfected for the PC market first.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:36 pm 
Just my 2c - forget other platforms until PC works. You have to go deep before you go wide. If the PC version is really good, that will attract many people to help port it. But if you have a PC, mac, linux and 360 version that are all ok but a little buggy and incomplete, you will find yourselves with lots of work and interest.

I say this as someone using the PC version on the assumption that the PC version will continue getting updates and becoming more complete - if all (or even more than 25%) of your effort goes into ports, then the PC users are losing out as a result. And this means worse game demos and worse publicity.

Don't get me wrong, I love NeoAxis, it's amazing, especially considering the price. But if it stops growing, that's a shame.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:57 pm 
good job .

but I think it's too early to go for 360 or mac . because most of the users of this great engine are indie and does not work for big company ets ..

this is great to port our game for 360 but I think for this level of engine it's more needed to get developed it self for example better shadows and AI system mybe better particle system and ets..

NA is awesome and a great job come of a great strategy and hard work and that shows your energy your hard work and your knowledge .

thanks

Unlimited License
Unlimited License

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:55 pm 
Congratulations!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:52 am 
This was an old post from March by the way. It's not new. The Mac port is already done as far as I know. I haven't tried to run it on a Mac but the port to Mono was completed in an earlier version.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: