[Solved][1.1 -> 1.11] Startup Time Increase

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Search for:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:13 pm Post subject: [Solved][1.1 -> 1.11] Startup Time Increase
Bottom of Page Back to top
Has anyone else noticed that upon migration to 1.11 that the startup time for loading the main menu has dramatically increased. Is this due to POM being on every texture? I have two revisions that I can flick back and forth to, and the only thing that I can see that has made a difference is the fact that all materials are set as POM as default. I have made no other code changes other than the migration.

My machine is quite beasty so I wouldn't expect that kind of increase in startup time:
  • 1.1 startup ~ 20 seconds
  • 1.11 startup ~ 40 seconds

I know I could just change the startup screen but I like to keep a base benchmark to make sure nothing dramatic has changed version upon version so that's why I'm a bit confused as to why I've got this massive increase in load time. It happens after the Neoaxis logo pops up, and then the application freezes for about 20-30 seconds until the main menu appears.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I just changed the materials to all use normal Parallax mapping but it didn't help. I have no idea what Neoaxis is processing from last version.

EDIT 2: I paused the app at the point that was taking it ages, and it seems to be taking longer at the lightpass for ShaderBaseMaterial.cs at this code:
Code: Select all   Expand view
                  GpuProgram fragmentProgram = GpuProgramCacheManager.Instance.AddProgram(
                     "ShaderBase_Fragment_", GpuProgramType.FragmentProgram, sourceFileMain,
                     "main_fp", fragmentSyntax, arguments.ToString(), replaceStrings,
                     out defaultTechniqueErrorString );

I did a hit count on 1.1 and 1.11 and the counts are exactly the same so I don't know why it's taking longer to process this bit in 1.11 (5728 is you must know).

Last edited by Deif on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Source License
Source License

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:37 pm 
You need to recompile your shader code if you've migrated (Use ShaderCacheCompiler.exe). That will fix the loading time prom-to. Whenever a material setting has changed it must be recompiled if to be loaded from cache, otherwise it's compiled at run-time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:17 pm 
Ah cool that did the trick, I didn't know about that. Thank you very much, it worked (took about 2 hours to do though)! :D

Jump to: