Proper way to upgrade from old release to new release?

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Search for:
Professional License
Professional License

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:59 am Post subject: Proper way to upgrade from old release to new release?
Bottom of Page Back to top
Hello Gang:

Please direct me if I may have missed this topic throughout my searching, but I have two questions:

1) What is the proper way to upgrade my code that i've already modified from the noncommercial version to the indie/commercial/etc versions? Are the main libraries (the closed libraries) and editors all that I have to update? Or do i have to hunt and peck through what might have changed?

2) Going forward with any licensed version (indie/commercial/etc) is there a proper way to go from .83 to .84 to .NN?

Thanks guys!

Unlimited License
Unlimited License

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:24 am 
1) if your going from non commercial to indie, just copy and paste your files - there is no difference other than you now have access to more source (extra files)

2) you will need to compare every file youve modified with the new versions using a tool like winmerge

Unlimited License
Unlimited License

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:57 am 
Winmerge.

Also comment your code constantly as you write stuff.
You shall not regrets it.

Unlimited License
Unlimited License

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:48 am 
In a commercial license you will find many more files you didn't have before, but this isn't a problem, since you can just copy and paste them in your solution.
The difficulties you can find are the same you can find when you go from an old version to a newer one.
I use a file comparison tool called Winmerge each time I have to adopt a new version. After having installed the new version of neoxis, whether commercial or non commercial, you can compare the folder in which you installed it with the one containing the project you're working on.
This way you can discover which new files are in the new folder and copy them in your project's folder. When a file is present in both folders, you can inspect differences between the two versions and decide whether to merge them or selectively include or exclude the content of one of the two.

Unlimited License
Unlimited License

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:30 am 
I suggest you use some version controlling tool, like SVN.
you can then compare the code where got changed then you can decide yourself if you want the change or to roll back the change.
It's very usefull for upgrading the engine everytime.

Professional License
Professional License

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:30 pm 
Thanks guys:

Ok, so it sounds like there isn't a standardized way to do this; but some varing approaches. Essentially, you have to compare each file using some tool and see if it was modified?

For the most part, are the changes typically related just to the engine or a combination to the engine library along with the game/gameentities/gamecommon/etc?

Unlimited License
Unlimited License

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:00 pm 
Sackmore wrote:
Thanks guys:

Ok, so it sounds like there isn't a standardized way to do this; but some varing approaches. Essentially, you have to compare each file using some tool and see if it was modified?

Yeah, you have to compare the folder of your project with a fresh installation of the new version of NeoAxis.

Sackmore wrote:
For the most part, are the changes typically related just to the engine or a combination to the engine library along with the game/gameentities/gamecommon/etc?

I'm not sure of what you mena here. Changes may vary depending on the release. Often you have new files or folders, especially in the data folder, to include in your project. You may also have changes in source files which you would maybe have to merge with the canges you introduced.
The most difficult changes to integrate are the one related to refactoring of existing code belonging to the core of the engine. In this case you could probably have to modify several method calls in the code you wrote.

Jump to: