Map Editor New Features for NeoAxis 1.2

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Search for:
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:16 pm Post subject: Map Editor New Features for NeoAxis 1.2
Bottom of Page Back to top
This is copy from new blog platform: http://www.neoaxis.com/blogs/ivan-efimo ... w-features

Hi, folks! This is our second blog post in NeoAxis Development Blog, which will cover another upcoming improvements made for NeoAxis Game Engine. This time we have added few new features to Map Editor that will help you design, construct and assemble your game levels more easily.

Level design and construction is an important task that can be very time-consuming and boring if you're using wrong instruments or if they lack required tools and features. With new ability to quickly move, rotate or scale objects using Step Movement (1) tool NeoAxis Map Editor become even more complete and powerful than it was before. Of course, you can specify desired step range and move or rotate your objects discretely, by provided values.

map_editor_new_move.jpg

Another new feature that we'd like to highlight is the ability to instantly move selected objects to the camera — Move Selected Objects to Camera (2). That's it, now you can select required object(s) through viewport or Map entities list, hit the button and this object(s) will be moved right before your eyes ( i.e. to the camera ). This feature can be useful when you need to place an object on where you're looking at and don't want to waste your time looking for this object, dragging it, moving, etc. — just position your camera, hit the button and your work is mostly done.

In addition to Move Selected Objects to Camera we have added an ability to Lock Selected Objects to Camera (3). This is an alternative way to get your objects to where you want them to be — upon feature activation selected objects will be attached and "locked" to the camera and will move with it. While it may be a little inconvenient to use this feature with large objects, many small objects like stones, barrels, boxes and stuff like that can really benefit from it — just lock them to your camera and move it while having your object before your eyes. When all things are in place — just hit the same button, disable this feature and objects will remain in their places.

Let's conclude — new NeoAxis Map Editor features will made it easier to construct and assemble your game levels. New Step Movement tool will give you more precise control on your objects movement, rotating and scaling, while Move Selected Objects to Camera and Lock Selected Objects to Camera will help you to manage and control the placement of your objects in a more intuitive manner. Listed above features will be available in NeoAxis 1.2.

Stay tuned for future updates, we will do our best to fill this blog with new and fresh information directly from NeoAxis developers!

Professional License
Professional License

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:19 pm 
What about auto material reloading on resource editor change? ;)

Radius Twitter

Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:25 pm 
We are thinking to add this feature.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:27 pm 
good idea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:42 pm 
Excellent! It sounds like these new features will save a lot of time moving objects around.

Something I'd love to see that I don't think has been touched upon would be the ability to 'drop' physics-enabled objects into the map, and to have them settle into final resting places before the map is saved. It would save a lot of time for creating piles of objects, while enabling each of those objects to have active physics. The object placement tool doesn't quite allow this, it only allows placement with rotation.

Also, having a "flatten terrain under object" function would save me a lot of time, especially with large buildings placed on slightly sloping terrain. If the map editor had an option to automatically flatten the area that the bounding box touches, that would be very helpful.

Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:55 pm 
Thanks for ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:29 pm 
@drummingpariah Very nice ideas, I like the way you think :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:56 pm 
Maxwolf wrote:
@drummingpariah Very nice ideas, I like the way you think :)

I wish I could offer more, but I only have the 'free' sdk and wouldn't have time to slog through engine/toolset code even if I had a full license. Right now I can just offer ideas that are self-serving, and hope that they'll help enough people to make them worth integrating.

Right now I'm working hard to consolidate the documentation on creating and integrating game assets, as it seems to have gotten less attention than the tools themselves. That's not a complaint at all, I'd much rather see Ivan working on code and tools, but someone needs to put all the information on using those tools together into one place. I've invested a lot of time into familiarizing myself with the mesh integration process, and have been making materials by hand so far, because the output of the Blender export script includes WAY too much information for .highMaterial files. Also, vegetation was really difficult to figure out without access to the source code.

I had played with the UDK sdk for awhile, and there are a bunch of features there that would be great to have here in NeoAxis (I just plain like NeoAxis more than Epic for my own silly, romantic, open-source-loving reasons), but for now, I'm perfectly content to finish familiarizing myself with the toolchain and behaviors, and would love to offer more when I know a bit more.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:42 am 
I'd also like a second non-optional decorativeObject manager (for forests and large stones), and more terrain splatting abilities. I'd [love] to be able to load a directory of ground detail textures, splat them all over the terrain, and have the images I've splatted concatenated into one 'decals' texture file that is saved with that map to save on resources. That way, content creators could have a collection of 200 ground decals (like road textures and blood splatters) available when building the world but if they only use 10, the 'decals' texture file would have a much smaller memory and i/o footprint to be loaded than if all 200 were loaded.

Professional License
Professional License

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:27 pm 
I second the physics dropping. Been wanting that since I started using NeoAxis. I always forget to ask for it. It's nearly impossible to set everything that's physics enabled to drop perfectly when the map loads.

http://www.desura.com/games/sickbrick

Unlimited License
Unlimited License

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:59 am 
I don't mean to Hijack the thread but....
I know this may sound wrong or I am , but why aren't you all working on the animation editor addin? Just seems to be the most important thing that needs to be worked on at the moment.. Seems animations have been left high and dry. Just my honest opinion. I don't think anyone is saying anything because you gave templates to look at, or don't want to step on anyones toes, but thats not really good enough. I don't want to have to parse a file and figure out how it works, based on a doc file that says this does this and that does that. You left us all without a proper animation editor and sequencer. Just my honest opinion. People can"figure" it out. But why should we have to.. Your team changed absolutely everything about the engine with that one change. speeds are different. Theres no compatibility at all with the old source at all.
Just my humble observation.

So maybe another thread on the animation editor that is severely needed?
and some status updates on that?

Incin

Unlimited License
Unlimited License

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:15 pm 
Hello,

On behalf of one of my mapper friends, I wanted to ask: is it possible to slightly modify the HeightMapTerrain editing tool for it to support float numbers as the inner- and outer-radius parameters? At least when using a big mask size (1024 or 2048). It would allow more precision thus less obstacles in the way of creativity.
Last time I looked it up, the system seemed to be designed with this in mind, but the numbers were rounded up nevertheless somewhere in the code.
Can you confirm this is possible? Can we have this for 1.2?

The next step would be using custom brushes but that's a lot of work and not a priority on my projects. I'm just throwing out suggestions.

Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:01 pm 
Quote:
On behalf of one of my mapper friends, I wanted to ask: is it possible to slightly modify the HeightMapTerrain editing tool for it to support float numbers as the inner- and outer-radius parameters? At least when using a big mask size (1024 or 2048). It would allow more precision thus less obstacles in the way of creativity.
Last time I looked it up, the system seemed to be designed with this in mind, but the numbers were rounded up nevertheless somewhere in the code.
Can you confirm this is possible? Can we have this for 1.2?

The next step would be using custom brushes but that's a lot of work and not a priority on my projects. I'm just throwing out suggestions.

Done! Waiting for 1.2.
Agree with custom brushes ideas.

HeightmapTerrainRadius.jpg

Unlimited License
Unlimited License

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:42 pm 
betauser wrote:
Done! Waiting for 1.2.
Agree with custom brushes ideas.

Thanks Ivan!

Just to clarify, does this make it possible to use values between 0 and 1 such as 0.3, 0.5... ?

Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:28 pm 
yes :)

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: